Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Toilet Talk

Dear Readers,

Everyone I have talked to and every website and blog and travel book I have read have been quick to advise a traveler to China like me to bring one very important thing:

TOILET PAPER!

Most Chinese public toilets do not supply toilet paper. Thought you can buy TP and tissues easily once you're there, it's good to have some for the first few days of arriving and settling in. Even after that, though, you still have to tote some around throughout the whole trip.

Not only that, but many are squatty potties, like this:


How about that! It looks like a toilet on the floor with no seat. Check out those foot parts. Look a least a little grippy... hopefully I don't fall in...

Lets remember that the most exotic place this traveler has been is Jawor, Poland. We always had a toilet seat and TP there. So this is new. And kind of exciting. This means I'm traveling somewhere where I have to rough it a little, at least.

So I've gotten prepared thanks to my lovely Grandma Dorothy. I had the blessing of spending the day with her today. We spent time in the Fine Arts Center where she is training to become a docent. Then, we had a great lunch at Amuse. After that, I got to sit in on a meeting of the various community and committee leaders in the building she lives in (a little view into what life may be like in 50 years!).



Grandma is always quick to offer wisdom and lessons she has learned in her years--she even had great advice about toilet paper. She contributed a roll of Scott single ply, no frills TP. This roll gives you the most bang for your buck (perfect!). I spend about 30 minutes splitting up the roll into 7 small rolls to tote around during my great China adventure!

Thanks, Grandma! You've taken care of me in a unique and VERY NECESSARY way!

Blessings and Peace,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment